Ben is a successful lawyer, who has a deadpan sense of humor and often uses intimidation tactics to get his subordinates to comply with his requests. Will Truman, who knows of Ben's reputation describes him as a "killer". Prior to entering law school, Ben was an award-winning chef, having studied in Provence, France and spent a summer in a culinary institute in Hong Kong.
Ben had been married twice: first, to a woman he describes as the love of his life, until her death; and then to a woman who reminded him of his first wife, which ended in divorce. He has two kids, one of whom is "crazy" about him and one who is not.
In later episodes he exhibits a much warmer and friendly persona, especially with Grace, whom he eventually starts a relationship with.
In a seemingly test of character, Ben offers Will a job after the latter loses his own firm. Ben implies that he has been following Will's career prior to their meeting.
Ben and Grace initially have a hostile relationship, but go on to have a no-strings-attached romance in the Season 2 finale.  They eventually become monogamous, although they break up later after realizing that they are not in love with each other.
- Ben is a talented cook, tap dancer, and racquetball player.
- Gregory Hines was set to return to the show, but died in 2003.
- It is speculated that the character of Ben (Will and Vince's son) was named after this character in honor of Gregory Hines.
- Ben Doucette is one half of Doucette & Stein, the other being Mr. Stein introduced in the fifth season, played by Gene Wilder.
- Terms of Employment
- Tea and a Total Lack of Sympathy
- Advise and Resent
- There But for the Grace of Grace
- Ben? Her?
- Husbands and Trophy Wives
- Grace 0, Jack 2000